Leonard S. Englander
Lenny is the founding partner of Englander Fischer. He received his B.A. from the State University of New York and J.D. from Stetson University College of Law. Lenny proudly notes that Stetson is tied for 3rd in the U.S. News & World Report rankings of the best trial advocacy schools in the nation.
Lenny has been Board Certified in Business Litigation by the Florida Bar since 1997, a distinction held by fewer than 275 attorneys statewide. He served for six years as a member of the Florida Bar Business Litigation Certification Committee and as its statewide Chair from 2005 to 2006. Lenny has been annually honored by his peers as a member of “Florida’s Legal Elite” in the area of business litigation. He was named a “Super Lawyer” by The Wall Street Journal, and consistently listed in publications as one of Tampa Bay’s Top Lawyers in Civil Litigation.
Having practiced for nearly 50 years, he possesses considerable business, corporate and real estate experience which he channels into the business and litigation arena. He handles a broad range of matters and complexity, and has acted as a trusted counsel, guiding public and private corporations through Florida, Federal and bankruptcy court proceedings as well as arbitrations and mediations. Lenny’s counsel is often sought in bet the company decisions and legal matters.
He is a member of the Florida Bar and admitted to practice before all Florida courts, the U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida, the Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals and the U.S. Tax Court. He prides himself on a common sense approach to business and economic realities and when necessary, aggressive, level-headed advocacy, always guided by what he terms “courageous professionalism”.
Lenny and his wife Betsy reside in St. Petersburg where they have served on a variety of charitable organizations including the Johns Hopkins All Children’s Hospital Foundation Board, the Dali Museum Foundation Board, CASA (Community Action Stops Abuse), the Free Clinic and Menorah Manor. When not in the office, he can be found fishing with a salt water fly rod.
- Stetson University College of Law, Juris Doctor
- State University of New York at Oswego, Bachelor of Arts
- Harvard Law School Negotiation Institute, Mediation Program
- Florida Bar
- Colorado Bar (Inactive Status)
- Florida – all trial and appellate courts
- United States Tax Court
- United States District Court – Middle District of Florida
- United States Bankruptcy Court – Middle District of Florida
- United States Court of Appeals – Eleventh Circuit
- United States District Court – Northern District of Texas (Pro Hac Vice)
- United States District Court – District of Colorado
Forty eight (48) years representing business enterprises in every phase of a commercial disputes including trial, arbitrations and mediation
- Served as lead counsel in complex multi-day arbitration of fractured condominium partnership dispute resulting in $15 million favorable arbitration award for the client plus a seven figure award for attorney fees.
- Defense and successful resolution of 25,000 member class action suit against regional retailer.
- After entry into a multi-year divorce proceeding, prosecuted valuation and entitlement of business interests securing favorable resolution for client.
- Successful verdicts after trials of dozens of commercial deficiency judgment proceedings involving real estate entities.
- Successfully tried to verdict critical spoliation claims (brought in NY and Florida) in defense of civil theft, breach of fiduciary duty and tortious interference claims against consumer debt financial institution, resulting in dismissal of all claims against our client.
- Successful prosecution of legal malpractice damage claim for failing to take adequate precautions to prevent hack of email, and escrow account wires.
- Successful resolution of injunction claims on behalf of a nationwide health club in defense of actions brought by the Florida Attorney General’s Office
- Lead counsel in 7 year litigation involving termination of 85 year ground lease and redevelopment of the largest residential tower on the west coast of Florida.
- Board Certified in Business Litigation, The Florida Bar, 1995-present
- Florida Super Lawyer, Commercial Litigation, 2010-2023
- Florida Legal Elite, Commercial Litigation, 2008-2011, 2013, 2015, 2017
- AV® Preeminent ™ Peer Review Rated, Martindale-Hubbell
- Lawyers of Distinction, Commercial and Business Litigation, 2018-2019
- The St. Petersburg Bar Association Professionalism Award sponsored by Fifth Third Bank
- Florida Bar Business Litigation Certification Committee, Member, 2000-2006, Chairman, 2005-2006
- Past Trustee, St. Petersburg Bar Foundation
- Johns Hopkins All Children’s Hospital Foundation Board and Chairman of its Institutional Grants Committee 2015 – 2020; Board Present
- Temple Beth El, President, 1996-1998 and 2010-2012
- Past Trustee, Community Action Stops Abuse (CASA)
- Past Trustee, Menorah Manor,
- Tampa Bay Leadership Board of the Crohn’s and Colitis Foundation of America
- Former member of The Dali Museum, Development Committee
- CEO Council of Tampa Bay
- Vistage Florida
- Recipient of The Jerusalem Covenant Award from the State of Israel