Jon practices in the areas of corporate transactions, securities, intellectual property, and real estate. Prior to coming to Englander Fischer, Jon was a contracts attorney with Johns Hopkins Technology Ventures in Baltimore, MD, where he negotiated a variety of technology focused transactions on behalf of the University. Prior to that, Jon was in private practice in
Winston Salem, NC, where he counseled clients in corporate formation, commercial transactions, drafting and negotiating essential business agreements, securities issuances, investor negotiations, and legal due diligence.
Jon is a graduate of the Wake Forest University School of Law, where he was a David H. and W. Powell Bland Scholar, a teaching fellow for the Community Law and Veterans Legal Clinics, and later became an adjunct law professor. Prior to attending law school, Jon was a senior associate with Morgan Stanley Investment Management in New York, NY, and was a director at Community Cooperative, a hunger focused non-profit in Fort Myers, FL.
- Wake Forest University School of Law, J.D.
- University of Central Florida, B.S.B.A., Cum Laude
- Florida Bar
- North Carolina Bar
- Florida – all courts
- North Carolina – all courts
- Advises small businesses and startups on entity selection and formation, organizational documents, financing, exempt securities transactions, state and federal securities filings and compliance, contract drafting and review, contract negotiations, trademark searches and filings, and technology transfer issues.
- Counseled academic researchers on intellectual property matters and negotiating technology licenses and research collaborations between private and public research institutions, commercial licensees, investment firms, and other commercial entities.
- Represents investors in private placements on securities issues and provides investors with legal due diligence of the issuing business.
- Financial services regulation
- Formed and counseled one of Winston Salem’s first startup investment groups, overseeing the due diligence on seed investment a number of North Carolina startups.
- Negotiated a multimillion-dollar research collaboration project involving multiple research institutions and a multibillion dollar healthcare investment firm.
- Negotiated nearly $12 million dollar buyout of partnership interest on behalf of the partner.
- Oversaw, and provided due diligence for, a $4 million private placement in a blockchain focused startup company on behalf of investor.
- Mainsail Art Festival – Planning Committee Member
- North Carolina Bar Association – Business Law Section, Future of Law Committee, Veterans Law Section. 2015-2018
- Counselor – Forsyth Technical Community College Small Business Center, 2015-2018
- Mentor – Creative Startups 2016
- Teaching Fellow, Wake Forest Community Law and Business Clinic, 2015-2016
- Teaching Fellow, Wake Forest Veterans Legal Clinic, 2015-2016
- Adjunct Professor, Wake Forest University School of Law, Technology in the Modern Law Practice, 2017-2018
- Director, Community Cooperative of Fort Myers, 2009-2011